Sea Scene, Circa 1880.

May 21, 1946

Montauk- The historic “Third House,” once headquarters of Teddy Roosevelt during and ranch house for the only farm in the country which can claim 300 years of cattle raising, has been taken over by William J. Cooper as a dude ranch. Roosevelt held his conferences in the house during the Spanish American War.

May 16, 1946

Mr. and Mrs. William J. Cooper well known hotel people on Long Island who have operated a hotel at Bay Shore, opened on May 15th Deep Hollow Guest and Cattle Ranch, on Montauk formerly known as “Third House.” They purchased it this spring and intend to be open for the regular summer season until September 30th, then for the fall hunting season October 10th through December 31st.

The main Ranch House has accommodations for thirty guests in light sunny rooms with complete modern equipment. Thirty or more guests will also be cared for in a group of western style cottages on the hill in back of the ranch house. The food will be the best procurable regardless of price. There will be outdoor suppers, barbeques and square dancing. Facilities for surf bathing, fishing, golf and tennis at the disposal of the guests; and plenty of riding. Upon arrival, each guest may choose their favorite horse from a string of western ponies, and keep it through his visit. Beginners as well as experienced riders will be accommodated. Phineas Dickinson who has herded cattle at Montauk from boyhood, is in charge of barns and riding, calf-roping and other rodeo sports may be had. In October, Deep Hollow Ranch becomes a hunting lodge; the property is well known for duck, pheasant and quail.

Deep Hollow Ranch has been the destination of hundreds of cattlemen for many generations. The ranch house was built in 1806 to shelter cow hands on their annual cattle drives from all parts of Long Island. Five thousand acres of rolling moors, extending from the Atlantic to Long Island Sound afford ideal pasture land and also hold a variety of interesting views for guests to discover each day.

March 28, 1957

The Ellis Tuthill residence on Fairview Ave. has been purchased by William Cooper of Deep Hollow Inn who has leased it to Alan Rattiner, new owner of White’s Pharmacy.

October 22, 1959

The East Hampton Town Board, at a special meeting Monday afternoon, accepted a high bid of $9,300 for the former Town Police Building at Montauk from William Cooper of Montauk. The building was no longer needed, and the price includes the plot.

June 14, 1962

William J. Cooper of West Lake Drive, Montauk, has been appointed chairman for the village of the College Committee of Eastern Long Island, which is raising funds for a South Hampton college of Long Island University. Mrs. Nancy Dickinson has been named co-chairman.

Mr. Cooper, who operated the Cooper’s Hotel, Bay Shore, and the Deep Hollow Ranch, Montauk, for many years, has been active in many community organizations.

June 2, 1964

The Montauk Historical Society met on June 27 at the Montauk Public School, Richard T. Gilmartin presiding. This was the annual meeting of the society, chartered provisionally by the Board of Regents in January, 1962, with the understanding that in five years the group would prove itself deserving of a permanent charter. Officers elected were William J. Cooper, president; Ellis T. Tuthill, vice president; Mrs. Margaret Joyce, secretary; and Clifford C. Stanley, treasurer; and also Richard T. Gilmartin, historian.

November 19, 1964

The Montauk Historical Society has acquired its first room for the storage and exhibition of Montauk relics and pictures. It was donated by Mr. and Mrs. William Cooper of West Lake Drive

April 4, 1957

Deep Hollow Ranch at Montauk, once “Third House,” which has been owned and run by Mr. and Mrs. William Cooper, has been sold to a corporation headed by Marion Harper, president of the McCann-Harper advertising company who bought the Louis R. Wasey house on the east side of Lake Montauk a few years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Jack Dickinson have already moved into Deep Hollow and will run it as an inn and Phineas Dickinson will manage the ranch, raising pure-bred Angus cattle and registered quarter-horses, so called because they are very fast for short distances. The ranch includes 33 acres, and 1,000 acres are being from the Montauk Beach Company in Indian Field, between Oyster Pond and East Lake Drive. Mr and Mrs. Cooper have bought the former Thomas E. Ringwood house from Jack Forrest, and will make that their home; they have also bought the Ellis Tuthill house.

February 1, 1968

The directors of Montauk Historical Society gave a farewell dinner for their president, William Cooper, and Mrs. Cooper, Saturday evening at Bill’s Inn. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper will be moving to Garden City soon.

June 5, 1975

William Cooper, a past president of the Montauk Historical Society, will be honored at a luncheon June 14 at 1 PM at Gosman’s Restaurant.